Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sight Words

There are so many different ways to practice sight words.My kids loved playing with plain old flash cards boys vs. girls style. Winners got a Smartie. But... that's kind of boring. I started doing some research on some more hands on sight word practice with my Kinders for next year and I found a few good ideas at A to Z Teacher Stuff. That led me to this website RainbowWords.com where you can find activites for whole group, small group, and at home practice!! Now I'm in the process of creating a "pamplet" of active ways to study the words at home. I will post a copy for all of you to send home to your Kinder parents, too!

I'm also in the process of creating a WHOLE packet of sight word practice sheets for my Kinders. I'm not sure if I will send them for homework or if I will use them in centers.... We use the Open Court words at my school (Imagine It!), so those are the words I am using. Here is a little preview of what each sheet will be like:
Sight Word- A                                                                                                   
Pretty simple, but effective. I wanted to make sure each page had a word search. I love word searches and I found that pretty much ALL of my Kinders this year had no idea how to do a word search. Well, next year they will!! :)

On another note... I am changing the theme of my classroom. I think I want to do Under the Sea, because I found soooo many cute things at Oriental Trading (and let's face it, I'm a beachy girl)! Check out Clutter-Free Classroom's Beach/Ocean Theme ideas. They are so cute!

We could be West's Whales!! But maybe I should do the Wild West, because of my name and my blog! Check out Clutter-Free Classrooms Western Theme ideas!! I love them, too! Ah! I cannot decide.


1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I love the sight word sheet! I like word searches, too.

    I can't wait for the whole unit to be done:)

    --Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love♥