Monday, June 18, 2012

Balanced Literacy-- Reading

I think a lot of schools are working towards a balanced literacy approach in their classrooms. The key components of Balanced Literacy are:
Reading Aloud
Shared Reading
Guided Reading
Independent Reading
Modeled or Interactive Writing
Shared Writing
Guided Writing (Writing Workshop)
Independent Writing

Throughout those components, especially reading, teachers need to be sure to scaffold their students. What does that look like? Well, it's helping students to story map (details, main idea, characters, setting, plot, problem and solution), analyze characters,  decipher confusing concepts. One way that I help to scaffold my student's reading is with reading comprehension sheets. They read a story and have to tell me the details.

They look something like this (depending on the skill I am addressing):
txt to txt                                                                                                   

I just uploaded my reading comprehension packet onto my TPT store and my Teacher's Notebook store. It has 18 pages of graphic organizers for both fiction and non-fiction stories. It has varied levels, too. So if you want to use just illustrations at the beginning of the year and move to sentences/writing as your students progress, you can.



1 comment:

  1. We are definitely pushing this at my school. Thanks for the freebie! I am your newest follower!!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love♥